Wednesday, May 19, 2010

KC Modern Quilt Guild

Before I went to the very first KC Modern Quilt Guild meeting in January, the only thing I was pretty certain about was that there would probably be other quilters there.

Yep, quilters--35 of them. And since then, we've averaged about 70 at each meeting and I've experienced more than I ever expected.

I've been inspired by many amazing quilts. I've learned new things because of shared tips and information. We had our first "Sewing Saturday" this month--the hum of a room full of sewing machines + chatter and laughing = so fun!

I heard about the Downy Quilts for Kids project and requested a kit that I completed this weekend and mailed back yesterday...




Several of us sewed a quilt block for a quilt we're making for a member's daughter. We all received the darling owl feature fabric to use in a "square in a square" block. I think it will be a fun quilt:)


I even won a door prize at this month's meeting! Our guest speaker was Tia of Camp Follower Bags and Quilts fame and organizer of the Bushfire Quilt Project. I participated in that project (in early 2009) and it was very interesting to hear her talk about it. She also brought along two different project bags and this darling pincushion to give away...



Now, imagine a bride tossing her bouquet...that's what it looked like when Tia stood with her back to the group and tossed a bag over her head to the first section of chairs, another bag to the next section, then the pincushion, the same way...and lucky me, I got to bring it home!

Marilyn

2 comments:

Pretty Things said...

What beautiful quilts!

Our Hands For Hope said...

Love the quilt you did...even love the background fabric.
The fabrics on the pink square are joyful.
Hope everything is going well.