Monday, January 28, 2008

Back on Track

I can't really say that I haven't done anything creative since before Christmas. I believe day to day living offers many possibilities for creativity. What I can say, however, is not one piece of artwork has made its way out of my craftroom since before Christmas. Until now.....Ta-dah!.....Meet Monique, an art doll that I completed yesterday.

Monique was inspired by a "Party Hat Doll" challenge in the Art Dolls sub-group over at ZNE--VariaZioNE Mixed Media and Indie Artists. I have to admit that she was, indeed, a challenge. I hadn't tried my hand at an Art Doll before Monique, and the challenge was immediate...where do I start? When in doubt, blindly jump in! That's my motto. And that's when the fun started. Slowly, at first, she developed. I couldn't have been farther away from knowing how she would end up. Sometimes it's just a "wait and see" process. I've heard dollmakers (and other artists) talk about how the doll (painting, collage, etc.) "tells them what it will be". I totally believe this and can even say that I have experienced it. Such was the case with Ms. Monique. Some beads here and there...ribbon...lace...and suddenly I could pronounce her 'all done'!

So here she is, an introverted book-lover by day, currently dancing the night away with her friends in the ZNE Art Dolls group (and listed in my Etsy shop). The assortment of the other "Party Hat Dolls" was amazing. All shapes and sizes, materials and personalities, and some kind of party hat to bring them together.

What a fun way to get back on track!

Marilyn

1 comment:

girlgonethreadwild said...

Hi Marilyn, thank you so much for joining in the pink artist doll proj. Please have your square to me by March 1. If you can't meet that date, no worries there is also a wall hanging art piece being created. I'm thrilled to be working with you on this, it's inevitable that our doll will create much positive attention for this cause. Blessings, Monica

p.s. what a fun blog you have! I've enjoyed my time here and will def. be back!